Monday, January 30, 2012

WHAT ANNOYS YOU ON A DATE?



What a headache this post turned out to be! This was intended to be an easy to do parody of an article in Look magazine, but when I tried to change the captions to make them funnier everything got buggered up. Oh, well.....

BTW: I just got an interesting comment from a British actor whose internet name is "Propeler." It regards a post I put up on August 11th called, "What Is the Purpose of Acting?" Here it is:

Eddie, I am a British actor, most of my career has been with the royal Shakespeare company and I work regularly on television and film. I have had a dream career so far. I have appeared regularly in londons west end, won awards for my stage work with the rsc and acted with dame judi dench, Patrick Stewart and Ian mckellen. But, I have lost all sense of joy or purpose in it. Your piece on the purpose of acting has totally reinspired me and effectively stopped me from retiring early. The job can feel so self indulgent but you have reminded me of what is great about what we do. I thank you sincerely

Wow! I'm speechless! I don't know what to say, except that it's wonderful to know that something I said was that helpful. Many thanks Propeler for the kind words.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it looks fine, Eddie. These are hilarious. You make one of these Rowan Atkinson type faces in the second and last date photo (looks like John Cleese fused with Atkinson to me with no signature mustache). It reminds me so much like Mr. Bean. Also love the bottom middle one with the Oliver Hardy type hairdo. The second one has my school's exact same colors! You nailed these damn well. What's there to fuss about?

Joshua Marchant (Scrawnycartoons) said...

Wow, great characters and captions. I'm with the two Buttercups, they have very accurate pet-peeves. For me at least.

Random observation: Frank Fleg has great hands! That's a legitimate compliment, the guys got a career in hand-modeling ahead of him, no doubt!

Anonymous said...

Eddie, I think it's great that 'Propeller' sent you that comment. I see where he/she's coming from. I can't think of another blog that manages to bring to bear a civilized and humane spirit of inquiry to so many different subjects. On top of that, you're constantly inventing new ways of being funny and entertaining. Your photo-stories are some of your best posts (I'm thinking especially of my favorite, your tribute to Fleischer/Out of the Inkwell). One request: a few cartoons, once in a while!

Anonymous said...

Whoa! You're becoming famous. An actor from the Shakespeare Company read one of your posts?!!! Holy mackerel. Who knows how many people have been helped by your wisdom and intellect...

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Roberto: Thanks! Mostly what I goofed were the captions. Some of them just didn't fit the pictures they were with. Sigh! I can't mess with them now. For technical reasons they're carved in stone.

And the Royal Shakespeare Company? That's amazing. I'd have been happy just to get a nod from the cleaning crew there.

Joshua: The hands? I'll take another look.

Stephen: Thanks much! And about the Fleischer post...I'll try to do another one. I kinda look like one of the Fleischers when I wear a suit and a paper mustache.

Unknown said...

Fantastic post! Those characters you created are absolutely amazing. I was laughing as I read their dialogue.

JohnK said...

Hey Eddie

that link doesn't lead to a post about acting.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

John: It's there. I just checked it. Just scroll down the page to August 11, 2011.