Sunday, September 18, 2016

MORE ABOUT COMEDIC FIGURE DRAWING

 I was a cartooning teacher for a while and in some classes we would apply whatever the lesson was to model drawing. Before paying individual attention to students I'd quick-sketch the pose myself on a big board just to suggest one way of approaching the problem. No one was required to draw in my style.

If you're curious to see what this kind of session (or rather, an idealized version of such a session) might have looked like then read on. For the purpose of this post I'll try an operatic theme.


Before the comedic poses started the class will have done some quick sketches of the models so they got used to caricaturing them.


Backgrounds were optional but encouraged. I handed out reference to those who wanted it. Yikes, maybe the BGs would have been a little simpler than the one shown above.


The opera had no script and nobody actually sang. I just got the models to take comic singing poses, as Wood did here.


Haw! I like a pose where someone steps on someone else.


The model session was meant to firm up the lessons contained in the lecture that preceded it. In this case the lecture was about composing figures in space. One of my jobs was to position the models so there was a foreground, middle ground and background.


The scenario could involve several people even though there was only two models. The models did double duty.


Hopefully, we got some good, comedic poses in there.


The beginning and end poses suggested a hint of a story even if the middle ones were completely random.



What style was used?


Whatever style the student chose. No, that's not my drawing above. I got it from the net.

No comments: